Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 5 Love Is Not Rude


Day 5

Love is not rude

He who blesses his friends with a loud voice early in the morning, it will be reckoned a curse to him. –Proverbs 27:14




Here are three guiding principles when if comes to practicing etiquette in your marriage:
1)      Guard the Golden Rule. Treat your mate the same way you want to be treated. (see Luke 6:31)
2)      No double standards. Be as considerate to your spouse as you are to strangers and coworkers.
3)      Honor requests. Consider what your husband or wife already asked you to do or not to do. If in doubt, then ask.

Ask your spouse to tell you three things that cause him or her to be uncomfortable or irritated with you. You must do so without attacking them or justifying your behavior. This is from their perspective only.


Today’s Questions:
What things did your spouse point out about you that need your attention? How did ou handle hearing it? What do you plan to do to improve these areas?


The words from the mouth of a wise man are gracious. (Ecclesiastes 10:12)


Yesterday’s Dare: 
We usually talk several times a day or simply text each other all day long. Nonetheless, I called Tommy yesterday before I left work to come home. I was upset when I left the house and we hadn't really talked since then. I asked him if he needed anything, specifically cigarettes, that I could get it on the way home. The other day he had asked me to pick some up for him and I didn't, I asked yesterday and he says no. I have offered a few times before to go get them and every time I do he says no, I've never really thought about it before. I guess it makes him a little more self-aware of his addiction. I did enjoy talking to him yesterday after I left so upset. I was able to give him a sincere apology for leaving upset and letting the small things get to me. It would also have been much easier for me to stop by the store before I got home and would have saved an argument because he asked me to go back out and get them. I think I will start asking on a regular basis if for nothing other than trying to fight less.

Side Note:
Yesterday started off bad, I fixed breakfast but it didn't turn out and then I was running so late I didn't get a chance to change into anything cute! No makeup, I didn't even have time to do my hair. UGH, right? Well, I go to work and have an ok day, the kids are 'behaving'. Then I come home to . . . the regular day stuff. We had talked about only watching a movie but he hadn't changed either! I had also asked him to hang up the curtains, and he didn't. I was mad at first but I went to the room and cooled down. He came in a lit all the candles and started a movie. I melted. He is NOT a romantic man, he is far from perfect but I love him all the same. We watched one of my favorites, Fireproof. He had never seen it before! I did not know that. We laid around and just talked, and then of course things got rated-R. It was Valentine's Day, what can I say. I enjoyed the day despite the bad things if nothing other than he was with me this year, last year he was in boot camp : ( Oh well, maybe next year! Have a good one!



No comments:

Post a Comment